Compulsory Professional Insurance in France
There are many compulsory professional insurance contracts. While some of them depend on the type of activity, others are common to all professions. But apart from the regulatory aspect, these guarantees are sometimes necessary for the survival of a society and for the entrepreneurs themselves.
Who are they for?
To all non-salaried workers ( TNS ) as well as to companies. Professional insurance covers all the risks inherent in the practice of the profession. For simplicity, we can say that they are of two kinds.
- First of all, they insure for losses that the company can suffer from outside. It is the professional multi-risk insurance .
- Then they cover against the damage that it can cause. It’s professional civil liability .
The different types of contract
There are several types of professional insurance, each activity having its own obligations. There is no list established and it is strongly advised from the creation of the company, to inquire with a chartered accountant, its professional syndicate or professional chambers to which you are attached (Chamber of Commerce or Chamber of Commerce). trades).
Professional Liability or RC Pro
The RC Pro is one of the most important compulsory insurance. It covers the damage that the company may cause to third parties in the context of a “normal” activity either to its customers or to suppliers.
The risks to a business should never be underestimated because the consequences of damage can be significant.
It is also strongly advised to play the competition. Remember to read carefully the terms and conditions of the contract, including the section related to exclusions and check the limits of guarantees.
The price depends in general on the turnover , but also on the type of activity and the number of employees, the insurer taking care to gather all the information which will enable him to establish you an estimate.
Professional multi-risk insurance
It has its equivalent in the home with the multi-risk housing contract that covers both housing and risks to the third party with “civil liability”.
In the same way, professional multi-risk insurance covers all the real estate assets used in the practice of the profession : buildings, offices, commercial premises, shops and the equipment and materials found there against a certain number of damage: natural disasters, water damage, electrical damage, fire explosions, storms or theft.
Important elements of the contract
- Refund to New : Check that your insurance company offers this guarantee. You will be refunded (under conditions) on the basis of the purchase price.
- The amount of the deductible : it allows to significantly lower the price. Ask for the different levels offered as well as the corresponding price.
- Repayment delays: this may be one of the most important points because in the event of a major disaster jeopardizing your business, you will need quick compensation.
- The operating loss guarantee: Ask your insurer the cost of this option. It compensates you for loss of profits after a disaster.
- The legal protection guarantee offers the help of lawyers in unpaid cases.
- Other options: remember to better protect your computer equipment and especially software. Be aware that your insurer can also cover expenses related to restarting your computer system.
Building professionals have specific compulsory insurance. Given the recorded losses, these contracts are increasingly expensive and difficult to obtain.
The ten-year guarantee
All building professionals are concerned since the law “SPINETTA” of 1978. The decennial insurance covers for 10 years the work done if the property can no longer be used or if the work threatens the strength of the work.
Other compulsory professional insurance
Companies engaged in public works or the building must also subscribe an insurance of perfect completion . It forces the craftsman to repair the damage that could occur a year after the completion of the work for defects that would be his.
The guarantee of good functioning obliges to intervene and to repair the defects which would prevent the good functioning of the work.